We are asking boaters to increase their vigilance and stay aware of the risks of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Initial findings by the MAIB lead it to suspect that two deaths in January on a small fishing boat in Whitby was linked to the use of a gas cooker as a space heater. www.maib.gov.uk/publications/safety_bulletins/safety_bulletins_2014/safety_bulletin_1_2014.cfm
On the Oxford Canal also last month, a man was found dead in his chair and his dog also dead in the boat also from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
There are a few simple steps boaters can take to prevent CO and of course they should fit an alarm to warn themselves if CO still occurs.
Our news release with the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) reminds boaters of the danger and points to the tips for staying safe
Boat Safety Scheme