The Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) have issued a media release welcoming the MAIB report concerning the tragic deaths of a mother and daughter caused by carbon monoxide poisoning on board a motor cruiser on Lake Windermere in April 2013.
We have signposted both the dangers and advice covering CO safety on boats over the last year and the information is also available on our website and continues to be an important consideration on TBA committee meeting agendas.
Hazards of DIY work have been particularly highlighted in the report and the findings are that:
• The installation of the portable air-cooled petrol generator in the enclosed engine bay was against the advice provided by the manufacturer.
• The improvised exhaust system fitted to the generator was not fit for purpose.
• All safety critical work on boats should be undertaken by a competent marine engineer using the correct materials.
• The boats occupants were not alerted to the presence of CO because the alarms fitted on board were not working.
The BSS has the latest advice for boaters on staying safe from CO poisoning www.boatsafetyscheme.org/CO – Don’t let CO ruin your life